Classic Cakes' interview with The Bliss List...
1. What is your favorite type of wedding to be part of? (Creative, modern,
whimsical, classic, elegant, extravagant, charming?) Why?
I love modern weddings with a vintage twist. Modern because it's so new and fresh and
vintage for all the patterns, muted palates and something borrowed from the past.
2. What is your favorite ?of-the-moment1 color palette or theme? Why?
Ialways gravitate towards pastels. I like to keep things simple, natural and tasteful.
3. What is one word (or small phrase) that describes your brand, you and/or
There is not one word to describe me so here are several words.
Perfectionist, food snob, hard working with a less is more approach to design.
4. What is your favorite business moment? (Great press, great event, big
In my twenties it was very hard for me to commit to a specific job. Yes I was a great cake decorator, but I loathed it's monotony of the same old cake. I picked up a copy of Martha Stewart's Wedding Magazine and started flipping through it. I ran across a series of wedding cakes that someone named Wendy Kromer had made. I was blown away by the unique and modern wedding cakes. I went and showed my husband the magazine, and in that minute I knew that for the rest of my life I could be happy making wedding cakes just like Wendy Kromer. And that's how Classic Cakes was born.
5. What is the best advice you can give a bride-to-be?
Have in place a realistic budget. Also interview several vendors from each category. Each
vendor will bring something different to the table. You will then have the knowledge to make your choice.
6. What is your favorite source of inspiration?
Currently i'm really into wedding dress patterns and Crate & Barrel catalogs. Also the Marie
Antoinette movie and all of it's beautiful pastel prints (damasks, toiles, etc.).
7. What is your favorite spot in KC? (Café, boutique, library, park?) In
the summer it has to be the City Market. I love all the culture and i'm
really happy to see all the organic foods. In the colder months a cup of
robust coffee and tiramisu at Lydia's is a rare and blissful treat.
8. What is your favorite indulgence or greatest weakness? (Strawberry
cupcakes, expensive jeans, lattes, bobby brown lip gloss, J Crew? Those
are mine!) With a 5 year old there's not much time for indulgences. When I
can get away for me time I enjoy shopping at Nordstroms for purses (I have
my eye on a Marc Jacobs bag currently), wet cappuccinos, pedicures, and
always Andre's for lunch.